Pre Regattas for the 2017 SB20 World Championships
The SB20 Class is getting ready for the 2017 Worlds in the UK!
This document provides information on events, launching and storage of boats for sailors wanting to arrive early in the Solent to practice for the World Championships. A brief summary of logistics for the Worlds is included at the end.
SB20 UK Sprint Championships (20 July 2017) and UK Nationals Championships (21 July to 23 July 2017)
Hosted by Royal Southern Yacht Club on the Hamble. Racing will be windward/leeward courses on the Hillhead Plateau, (venue for the World Championships). Entry fee includes launch and recovery of boats (please see below *if you wish to leave your mast up and store your boat until the Worlds) and berthing of boats during the Championship. Please see Race Documents.
Boats are required to be berthed at Royal Southern YC during the regatta. This is about 0.5 miles up the Hamble from Hamble Point Marina.
Entry fee (up to 6 July 2017):
Sprint Championships £40
National Championships £260
Late Entry (after 6 July 2017) +£20 to above price
*If you wish to leave your mast up and have it dry stored at Hamble Point Marina it will cost £75 for the lift out and £80 per month for storage. If you wish to launch and recover from Hamble Point marina without the need to take your boat trailer 0.5 miles to the marina the cost will be £150. Please see below for arrangements.
Cowes Grand Slam (29 July to 1 August 2017) and Cowes Week (29 July to 5 August 2017)
Hosted by Cowes Combined Clubs in Cowes. This world famous regatta, founded in 1826 is a fantastic experience with 800 to 1000 boats racing in 40 different classes. There are two races per day during the Grand Slam and one race per day during the rest of Cowes Week. Some racing will be windward/ leeward on the Hillhead Plateau but others will be round the Solent.
The entry fee (Please see http://www.cowesweek.co.uk for details) covers racing but not launching and berthing which needs to be organised separately. We have organised a “SB20 Class Package” which includes berthing at Cowes Yacht Haven, a class dinner and Polo shirts (Yacht Squadron cocktail party tickets can be purchased for an extra £27.50 each). Details and booking can be found at https://goo.gl/forms/Udsp5YCssKHu5HhI2 Launching and recovery costs at Hamble Point marina are covered below. If you choose to launch or berth elsewhere you will need to make your own arrangements.
Cowes Yacht Haven is 6 miles from Hamble Point Marina and, depending on the wind, this is a 60 to 90 minute sail.
Cowes Week Entry Fee’s
|Entry Fee||To 30 May||To 21 July||Late Entry Fee|
|Cowes Grand Slam||£231||£289||£347|
|Cowes Week (Inc. GS)||£375||£469||£563|
SB20 UK Class Package Fee’s
|Entry Fee||Deposit – Due at point of booking||Final Payment – Due 1 July||Late Entry – (Full Payment required)|
|Cowes Grand Slam||£100||£159||£259|
|Cowes Week (Inc.GS)||£100||£358||£458|
- First 30 teams to book the SB20 UK Class Package will be entered into a raffle for a brand new Jib (T&C’s Apply)
- The SB20 class package which includes Cowes Yacht Haven berthing, polo shirts and class dinner is subject to availability, entries will be dealt with in order
Storage and Launching Package at Hamble Point Marina
Dry Storage of Boat on trailer at Hamble Point Marina £80 per month
Launching and Recovery & storage of trailer by Hamble Point Marina £150 per launch
Wet Launch and recovery from Hamble Point slipway & storage of trailer £32.55 per launch
- Launching and recovery cost is per event (Inc. in worlds Entry Fee)
- Each boat will need to contact Hamble Point Marina office and register their boat and set up an account for settlement of these costs (Hamble Point Marina, School Lane, Hamble, Southampton, Hampshire, SO31 4NB – Tel 0044 (0) 23 8045 2464)
- Each boat needs to give the yard at least 14 days’ notice booking the boat in for launching. Please do not turn up and expect the yard to launch the boat without prior notice
- Hamble Point Marina does not take covers off/put covers on. They launch with a very large fork lift and can launch and recover boats with the covers on. So for recovery you can lift the keel, remove the rudder and put on the cover. The marina will recover the boat the next day and put it on its trailer and into the compound.
- To ensure the correct boats are put on the correct trailer, there will be a number system where each boat will be allocated a number to be placed on the trailer and the mast of the boat. This number will be used to identify the boat with the marina office.
The World Championship entry fee covers the cost of launching and recovery at Hamble Point Marina, storage of cars and trailers. Also berthing at Hamble Point Marina and Cowes Yacht Haven during the event and social events for the Worlds. Please see https://www.rys.org.uk/regattas/sb20-worlds-2017/ for details.
Logistics for the World Championships
- Dedicated area for boat rigging
- Boat lift in, 2-day slot for competitors to lift in.
- Friday 25th August from 12 noon to 6pm
- Saturday 26th from 9am to 5pm
- Sunday 27th 9am to 12 noon
- Boat lift out
- Saturday 2nd Sept – 9am to 5pm
- There will be a published lift out order according to registration order
- Competitors who arrive outside these slots will need to book and pay HPM direct
- Car and trailer storage for the event
- We will publish a simple map showing competitors how to get to Cowes from Hamble Point
- We will be arranging a van to carry competitors bags/spares to Cowes – details tbc
- If a competitor decides to take their boat by ferry across to Cowes, they will need to book their launching direct with Cowes Yacht Haven, and there is no discount for not using the facility arranged for competitors at Hamble Point Marina.
You can get in contact with the UK Class via email or telephone.
T: +44 (0) 2380 019973