GBR: Entry for the 2016 Cowes Grand Slam is now Open
2016 SB20 Grand Slam at AAMCW Event Information
This document is created to give you a step by step guide to the SB20 Grand Slam at Aberdeen Asset Management Cowes Week (AAMCW). Please follow the instructions here and use the advice to plan your entry. If this document doesn’t answer your question, please contact:
Pippa Horne: email@example.com
Alan Hillman: firstname.lastname@example.org
Online Entry for AAMCW
Every boat wishing to take part in the SB20 Grand Slam must enter using the AAMCW website. Here you can enter for the SB20 Grand Slam and add any extra days of AAMCW that you wish to compete in. The SB20 Grand Slam takes place on Saturday 6th – Tuesday 9th August. Cowes Week continues until Saturday 13th August.
SB20 Grand Slam Saturday 6th – Tuesday 9th August
- Early Bird Entry – £210 entries received before midnight 31st May
- Standard Entry: £263 entries received after midnight 31st May but before midnight 21st July
- Late Entry: £315 entries received after midnight 21st July
SB20 Grand Slam Booking Form
As well as entering the SB20 Grand Slam via AAMCW’s website, we also request that you complete and return the SB20 Grand Slam Booking Form and £210 fee. No entry to the SB20 Grand Slam is complete without the Booking Form also being completed.
The £210 SB20 Grand Slam booking fee includes:
- Berthing at East Cowes Marina: (Saturday 6th – Monday 8th August inclusive, additional nights can be booked as required)
- 3 Tickets to the Saturday Dinner Social for your sailing crew on Saturday 6th August
- Skipper ticket to Royal Yacht Squadron Cocktail Party on Monday 8th August**
- 3 SB20 Grand Slam Polo Tops for your crew
- Beer on the dock after racing each day of the Grand Slam
**additional tickets available at £27.50 per person.
SB20 Grand Slam T-Shirts
SB20 Grand Slam T-Shirts will be provided for your crew members (up to 3 shirts). Please state the size of the t-shirts that you require for each crew member on the online booking form. If you do not request t-shirt sizes at the time of entry, we apologise that we are unable to guarantee that the correct size shirt will be available at registration.
Scoring and Discards
SB20 Grand Slam: The SB20 Grand Slam has 8 scheduled races. 2 discards will apply if all 8 races are sailed, 1 discard if 6 or 7 races are sailed and 0 discards if 5 or less races are sailed.
Cowes Week: All races will be allowed to count towards your Cowes Week overall result. For the Grand Slam Day s (Saturday 6th – Tuesday 9th August) average points for each of these days (ie. the sum of the morning and the afternoon race points will be divide by 2) leaving 8 scores for the full week. 2 discards will apply if all 8 races are sailed, 1 discard if 6 or 7 races are sailed and 0 discards if 5 or less races are sailed.
The Sailing Instructions for the SB20 Grand Slam will be amalgamated into the standard AAMCW Sailing Instructions. Sailing Instructions will be available on www.cowesweek.co.uk at the beginning of July. Printed copies will be available at registration.
SB20 Class Rules
Competitors special attention is drawn to class rules C.1.2(c) and C.3.1.
Accommodation during Cowes Week is always expensive and securing a booking for anything other than the full week is highly unlikely. We have therefore continue to reccomend accommodation at UKSA in Cowes and the flexibility of just the 4 (or 5) nights of the SB20 Grand Slam. You will need to organise a Water Taxi across the river to where the boats are moored.
Accommodation will be available on a first come first served basis, so we encourage you to book your accommodation as a priority. There are several twin and single rooms available, as well as bunk rooms which sleep up to 8 people.
To make a booking, email email@example.com or call UKSA.
For information about accommodation please contact UKSA on 01983 294941
There are also lots of other fantastic and affordable options for accommodation over in East Cowes which are worth investigating.
Berthing at East Cowes Marina is included in the SB20 Grand Slam Entry Fee. If you wish to berth at East Cowes Marina for the duration of Cowes the SB20 Grand Slam fee will be £310 per boat (Saturday 6th – Friday 12th).
It wouldn’t be a SB20 event if there wasn’t a great social programme lined up!
Friday 5th August: Registration Day
12noon – 6pm Registration & Crew Weighing East Cowes Marina
7.30pm onwards Drinks in the Lifeboat pub, East Cowes Marina
Dinner in the Lifeboat Pub, East Cowes Marina
Saturday 6th August: SB20 Grand Slam Race Day 1
7.30am – 9am Registration & Crew Weighing – The Lifeboat Pub, East Cowes Marina
Race 1 Start Line (TBC)
Race 2 Committee Boat
After racing Beers – on the Dock East Cowes Marina
From 6.30pm SB20 Saturday Dinner Social – TBC
Sunday 7th August: SB20 Grand Slam Race Day 2
Race 3 Start Line (TBC)
Race 4 Committee Boat
After racing Beers – on the Dock East Cowes Marina
Evening SB20 Class Cocktail Party: Dress: Jacket & Tie
Additional tickets are available and must be booked at the point of entry. – RYS
Monday 8th August: SB20 Grand Slam Race Day 3
Race 5 Start Line (TBC)
Race 6 Committee Boat
After Racing Beers – on the Dock East Cowes Marina
7.30pm Enjoy Cowes Week!
Tuesday 9th August: SB20 Grand Slam Race Day 4
Race 7 Start Line (TBC)
Race 8 Committee Boat
After Racing Beers – on the Dock
SB20 Grand Slam Prize Giving – East Cowes Marina
Wednesday 10th – Saturday 13th August: AAM Cowes Week continues in the normal format or 1 race per day.
Visitors have two boat launching options, one in Hamble on the mainland and one in Cowes on the Isle of Wight.
Hamble Point Marina, Hamble
- Offers a great rate on slipway usage, with crane facilities also available.
- Trailer storage and car parking are available on site
- To book, please contact: Hamble Point Marina (023) 8045 2464
- Launching via slipway only
- Trailer storage and car parking available on site
- To book, please contact: UKSA on 01983 294941
Ferries to Isle of Wight
If you wish to take a car to Cowes or with to take your SB20 on it’s trailer to Cowes, there are two suggested Ferry Routes:
Southampton – East Cowes
- Operated by Red Funnel Ferries
- To book, visit their website: www.redfunnel.co.uk
Portsmouth – Ryde
- Operated by Wight Link Ferries
- To book, visit their website: www.wightlink.co.uk
SB20 Grand Slam Booking Fee Payment Options
There are two payment options for the SB20 Grand Slam:
- Made payable to: SB20 Class Association
- Mailed to: SB20 Class Association, 20 Berkeley Square, PO9 2RT
- Account Name: SB20 Class Association
- Account Nunber: 10429491
- Sort Code: 09 02 22
- IBAN: GB30ABBY09022210429491
- Payment Reference: GS(Sail Number)(Surname) example: GS3700BLOGGS
- NOTE: If you do not use the correct payment reference, there is no way of tracking your payment. If you choose to pay using direct transfer, you are responsible for covering any associated costs.