Welcome to the UK SB20 page. The SB20 was first born in the UK back in 2002 and was first raced on the Solent. Since then the fleet has gone global, however we still have a strong UK fleet.
We currently organise two SB20 Series in the UK, they are
- The SB20 UK National Series (there are 8 events over the year. Your best 4 results plus the FSE Robline UK National Championships count for your series result).
- The SB20 Solent Series (there are 5 events at 5 different host Clubs. Your best 4 results count. The Southern Area Championships can be one of them and has a slight weighting, so it’s result is multiplied by 0.9).
Aside from our two traveller series, SB20 racing is hosted at Clubs up and down the country however there are a number of hot spots where there are more members and more racing, namely the Solent, Torbay and Northern England.
When selecting which club will host the National Championships, Inland Championships and Area Championships, we look for a Club that has an active SB20 home fleet. The Committee are of course very receptive to new clubs, members and locations. If the SB20 is new to your Club we will give you all the help and advice you want.
UK CLASS MEMBERSHIP
To race in SB20 Class Events one person on board needs to be a Full Class Member. In the case where someone has chartered or borrowed an SB20 and the owner is a Full Class member, there only need be an Associate Member on board. The SB20 UK Class is a not for profit organisation and all membership fees are ploughed back into the Class. If you are a paid up member of an overseas SB20 district there is no need to join the UK Class to race in the UK.
UK Membership Fees for 2018 are;
- Full Member £115 (discounted to £100 if paid by 31 January 2018)
- Associate Member £40
If you would like to join the UK Class please email Doug or Becky Innes at email@example.com including boat name and sail number (if you own a SB20).
Over the year we organise a few coaching events. These training days concentrate on racing performance and are for new SB sailors and old hands. Check the calendar below for dates.
Throughout the season we meet up informally, usually in a pub and usually on an event weekend. You don’t of course have to be at the event to join us, anyone and everyone is welcome!
COWES GRAND SLAM
Cowes Week, which takes place at the start of August each year is the worlds biggest yacht regatta. The SB20 has a unique format in that the first four days of Cowes Week (Saturday-Tuesday) are the UK Grand Slam. There are two races per day.
Sailors who want to, can continue for the rest of the week (Wednesday-Saturday) with one longer race per day. Teams competing in the full week will therefore have two results. Their Grand Slam result (which includes one discard) and their Cowes Week Result (where your average of each 4 days from the Grand Slam, is combined with the results from the remaining 4 days, again with one discard.)
Entry For Cowes Grand Slam and Cowes Week
You can enter either/both events at Enter Cowes Grand Slam & Cowes Week Here
While the Cowes Week organisers handle all of the race managment and results we take care of our own Prize Giving and Social Programme.
Sunday- Class Dinner (venue TBC)
Monday- Royal Yacht Squadron Drinks Reception (tickets are £27.50)
Tuesday- Prize Giving (after racing)
Thursday (19:30)- Class Supper at the Folly Inn (order from the standard menu and pay on the night)
Compettors can arrange berthing any where they choose. Our preferred venue is Cowes Yacht Haven as it is in the centre of the action, failing that Shepard’s Wharf, is the next closest. There are also marina facilities at East Cowes Marina (across the River), and UKSA (bit further away but also has accomodation on site). We advise early booking as they will all fill up.
KEEPING IN TOUCH
- Email: For all enquries
- Facebook: We maintain two Facebook pages
- WhatsApp Group:
- To join the group click SB20 Class UK
- SB20 Scoop:
- This is our newsletter and is produced three times a year
- Visit http://eepurl.com/du4tXT to opt in
- Email Group:
- Our Chairman, Paul Hine sends regular updates by email to a group of SB20 members and SB20 sailors
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to his mailing list
- UK Calendar:
- You can visit this webpage to view the calendar below, OR
- Using this link you can have the same calendar feed connecting straight to your iCal, Outlook or Google Calendar software https://calendar.google.com/calendar?cid=bzVsNTF2cnM2dXRzdTFpZnF0NTVlZ2c0aHNAZ3JvdXAuY2FsZW5kYXIuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbQ
- If your Club event does not appear on our calendar, please email us details
UK SB20 Class Committee
Chairman – Paul Hine (PB II) email@example.com
Treasurer – Charlie Whelan (Braking Bod)
Southern Rep. – Tom Clay (Whyaduck)
Trophies – Roger Harford (Red Kite)
Member – Adrian Peach (Uber)
Member – Peter Noe (6A Vision Homes)
Secretary – Doug Innes (Turbulence Too) firstname.lastname@example.org
Builder’s Rep. – Alan Hillman (Sportsboat World) email@example.com
The committee is always open to new members from anywhere in the UK. The team above covers a large number of key competencies however the knowledge & experiences that are currently under represented are; Northern England, Inland and Youth Racing. If you would like to get involved, email the office or have a chat with one of the current committee members.