Welcome to the United Kingdom SB20 page. The UK was the country of berth for the SB20 back in 2002 and it’s first racing took place on the Solent. Since then the fleet spread nationwide and then went global, however we still have a strong UK fleet, particulary in the Solent. In this section you will find;
- SB20 Racing in the UK
- UK National Series
- Solent Series
- UK National Championships
- UK Sprint Championships
- UK Inland Championships
- Warsash Spring Series
- Spring Championships
- Royal Ocean Racng Club Vice Admiral’s Cup
- Royal Southern YC Summer Series
- Royal Solent YC Taittinger Regatta
- Hamble Winter Series
- One-Design Championships
- Cowes Grand Slam & Cowes Week
- UK Class Membership
- 2018 Subscription fees
- UK Class Coaching
- UK SB20 Socials
- Contact Details
- UK Committee
RACING IN THE UK
We currently organise two SB20 Series in the UK, they are
- The SB20 UK National Series (there are 8 events over the year. Your best 4 results plus the FSE Robline UK National Championships count for your series result)
- The SB20 Solent Series (there are 5 events at 5 different host Clubs. Your best 4 results count. The Southern Area Championships can be one of them and has a slight weighting, so it’s result is multiplied by 0.9)
We organise four National and Regional Events
- FSE Robline UK National Championships (a 10 race series spread of three days, the venue changes each year, however is likely to alternate (between Torquay, Solent, Other) over a three year cycle
- UK Sprint Championships (a one-day stand alone event held the day immediately preceding the Nationals. The event includes up to 6 short course (20 minute windward/leeward races and a de briefing from an external coach)
- UK Inland Championships (a weekend event hosted by one of the Inland Clubs on a large reservoir or lake)
- Southern Area Championships (new in 2018 this is a stand alone 2 or 3 days event, which will normally be combined with another SB20 series event)
Aside from our National Events, various Clubs organise “SB20 friendly” race series’, some of which count toward the National & Solent Series, they include;
- Frostbite Championships (An early season weekend event with coaching on Saturday and racing on Sunday)
- Warsash Spring Series (Six Sundays in March and April with up to 3 races per day, the SB20 ahs its own start)
- Warsash Spring Championships (Two weekends of racing in April. The Sunday is also part of the Warsash Spring Series. One of the weekends counts towards both the Solent and the National Series (above) as well).
- RORC Vice Admiral’s Cup (An 8-race, 3-day weekend in May, hosted by the Royal Ocean Racing Club. Counts toward the Solent Series).
- Royal Southern YC Summer Series (5 weekends of racing spread over the May to September season. One of the weekends counts towards both the Solent and the National Series as well).
- Royal Solent Taittinger Regatta (Weekend event held in Yarmouth, Western Solent, counts for Solent and Natioanl Series)
- Hamble Winter Series (Eight Sundays in October, November and early December)
- One Design Championships (Two weekends of racing in October. The Sunday is also part of the Hamble Winter Series. One of the weekends counts towards both the Solent and the National Series as well).
The Committee are very receptive to new clubs, members and locations. If the SB20 is new to your Club we will give you all the help and advice you want.
Asides from the UK Nationals our biggest annual event is part of the International SB20 Grand Slam Series.
COWES GRAND SLAM & COWES WEEK
Cowes Week, which takes place at the start of August each year is the worlds biggest yacht regatta. The SB20 has a unique format in that the first four days of Cowes Week (Saturday-Tuesday) are the UK Grand Slam. This is a 11-race series with two or three races per day (two on the final day, Tuesday).
Sailors who want to, can continue for the rest of the week (Wednesday-Saturday) with one longer race per day. Teams competing in the full week will therefore have two results. Their Grand Slam result (which includes one discard) and their Cowes Week Result (where your average of each 4 days from the Grand Slam, is combined with the results from the remaining 4 days, again with one discard. By way of example all three races from day 1 are added together and averaged to provide your day 1 result for the full series).
UK CLASS MEMBERSHIP
To race in SB20 Class Events one person on board needs to be a Full Class Member. In the case where someone has chartered or borrowed an SB20 and the owner is a Full Class member, there only need be an Associate Member on board. The SB20 UK Class is a not for profit organisation and all membership fees are ploughed back into the Class. If you are a paid up member of an overseas SB20 district there is no need to join the UK Class to race in the UK.
Membership is annual and runs wih the calander year. UK Membership Fees for 2018 are;
- Full Member £115 (discounted to £100 if paid by 31 January 2018)
- Associate Member £40
If you would like to join the UK Class please email Doug Innes at email@example.com including boat name and sail number.
Over the year we organise a few coaching events. These training days concentrate on racing performance and are for new SB sailors and old hands.
- Saturday of the Frostbite Championships (early season)
- National Sprint Championships
- Locally organised weekend events
Check the calendar above for exact dates.
Throughout the season we meet up informally, usually in a pub and usually on an event weekend. You don’t of course have to be at the event to join us, anyone and everyone is welcome!
- Email: Our Secretary, Doug Innes handles most enquries
- Facebook: We maintain two Facebook pages
- WhatsApp Group:
- To join the group click SB20 Class UK
- SB20 Scoop:
- This is our newsletter and is produced three times a year
- Visit http://eepurl.com/du4tXT to opt in
- Email Group:
- Our Chairman, Paul Hine sends regular updates by email to a group of SB20 members and SB20 sailors
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to his mailing list
- UK Calendar:
- You can visit this webpage to view the calendar below, OR
- Using this link you can have the same calendar feed connecting straight to your iCal, Outlook or Google Calendar software https://calendar.google.com/calendar?cid=bzVsNTF2cnM2dXRzdTFpZnF0NTVlZ2c0aHNAZ3JvdXAuY2FsZW5kYXIuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbQ
- If your Club event does not appear on our calendar, please email us details
UK SB20 CLASS COMMITTEE
Chairman – Paul Hine (PB II) email@example.com
Treasurer – Charlie Whelan (Braking Bod)
Southern Rep. – Tom Clay (Whyaduck)
Trophies – Roger Harford (Red Kite)
Member – Adrian Peach (Uber)
Member – Peter Noe (6A Vision Homes)
Secretary – Doug Innes (Turbulence Too) firstname.lastname@example.org
Builder’s Rep. – Alan Hillman (Sportsboat World) email@example.com
The committee is always open to new members from anywhere in the UK. The team above covers a large number of key competencies however the knowledge & experiences that are currently under represented are; Northern England, Inland Racing and Youth Racing. If you would like to get involved, email the office or have a chat with one of the current committee members.